Getting to School

Getting to school

Recognizing that moving to a new school means sorting out new transportation, we wanted to share some helpful info about busing, walking, and cycling to school.

Bussing: In grade 7/8 there are no yellow school buses. Students who live more than 1.6km walking distance (based on the "home" address provided when the student was registered with us) from the school generally qualify for a free "PRESTO" pass to ride OC Transpo. Passes are issued to those students in the first 3 days of school. If riding the public bus is new to your student, OSTA and OC Transpo present Public Transit Training on Tues Aug 27 and Wed Aug 28. Students learn about safety features on the city bus and train, Travel Planner, Presto cards and much more!

Parents who want to verify that their child will be issued a bus pass can check with the Ottawa Student Transportation Authority (OSTA) here: Students with exceptional mobility needs who have been authorized for specialized van/taxi transportation will also find information at the same link above.

Walking/Cycling/Scooter: For those living closer, walking, cycling, or scootering to school is recommended. Parents are encouraged to review safe route options with their child, with an emphasis on safely crossing busy intersections (Holland Ave, Wellington, Byron, etc.). All student cyclists are legally required to wear a helmet. The school provides racks to lock bikes (a high quality "U" lock is recommended) and indoor storage for scooters. For more information about City programs related to safe cycling, see

Start of Day: Parents are asked to note that the school day begins at 8:55 am, and all students must be in class before 9:00 to avoid being recorded as late. Please ensure your son/daughter has selected an appropriate route/timeline to make sure they arrive on time each day.

Moving/Change of Address: If you have moved recently, please ensure that the school is kept informed by emailing us ( with updates. Please note that proof of address may be required (e.g. a utility bill or copy of mortgage/lease) in order to process address changes.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 West Corporation. All rights reserved.